Employee Tuition Assistance Benefit Plan
Ohio State employees who wish to take undergraduate classes using their tuition benefit must either be enrolled through the Admissions Office (if degree seeking) or through Extended Education. Review all university deadlines, especially in regards to dropping courses, to successfully use your tuition benefit.
The Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance Plan:
- Does pay the instructional, general and non-Ohio resident fees up to 10 hours per term
- Does not pay for other types of expenses, such as application fees, registration fees, late fees, lab fees, computer fees, student activity fees, recreational sports fee*, COTA bus fee, insurance, and books
- Does not pay for audited courses
You may enroll in undergraduate, graduate or professional degree-granting programs upon meeting the university’s admission requirements.
Fee Adjustments and One-Time Forgiveness Benefit
If you withdraw during the 75%, 50%, 0% refund periods, you are responsible for paying the non-refundable instructional and general fees. You may incur fee adjustments (which also may be referred to as forfeiture charges) if you withdraw from courses. The Plan will pay the fee adjustment for one academic term while you are actively employed with the university. A completed One-Time-Forgiveness Benefit Application and approval from the Office of Human Resources is required. You can only use this waiver once. Fee adjustments will be your responsibility if you have already used the one-time waiver. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Refer to Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance for more detailed information.
Undergraduate tuition assistance benefits are generally not taxable.
Graduate-level tuition assistance benefits that do not exceed a certain amount in a calendar year are generally not taxable. Review the tuition assistance information for details.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- You must be admitted through the Admissions Office or Extended Education.
- You are not required to complete an application for Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance. Once verified that you are eligible, the tuition assistance benefit will reflect as a fee authorization on your fee statement.
- You must continue to work in an eligible appointment throughout the entire academic term. For purposes of this Plan, the last day of an academic term is the day of the commencement ceremony for that academic term.
- See Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance for additional eligibility criteria.
How to Apply
How you should apply to Extended Education depends on several factors, including whether you have taken classes at Ohio State before. Apply well before the start of semester or session you wish to attend. It may take up to three weeks for your application to be processed.
In-office admission is available by appointment. Call 614-292-8860 to schedule.